What Makes doTERRA's Black Spruce Essential Oil Unique?
by Atanaska Adams
This potent fir essential oil is a member of the pine family and is calming, grounding, and cleansing. Sourced from Canada, Black Spruce essential oils comes from the needs and branches of the Picea mariana tree. Black Spruce’s calming perfume is ideal for your upcoming diffuser blend or nighttime massage because it has a slightly sweeter scent than some of the other fir oils.
HISTORY AND SCIENCE BEHIND BLACK SPRUCE
Due to its toughness and tolerance for nutrient-poor soils, the black spruce tree predominates most of the terrain in Alaska and northeastern Canada. The black spruce trunk is frequently used as pulp to make paper or chopsticks despite being typically regarded as being too tiny for use as timber by the commercial community. However, the volatile aromatic compounds made by the black spruce’s needles are arguably its most significant characteristic.
Alpha-pinene, camphene, bornyl acetate, and delta-3-carene are the main monoterpenes found in black spruce essential oil. An essential oil with excellent aromatic and topical effects is produced by this unique blend of aromatic components.
BENEFITS OF BLACK SPRUCE ESSENTIAL OIL
- Diffuse Black Spruce and a few drops of Wild Orange to create a fragrant, calming, and energizing atmosphere.
- Epsom salts and a few drops of Black Spruce essential oil can be added to warm water for a calming bath.
- To create a tranquil, balanced environment, diffuse in the morning or during meditation.
- When you’re under stress, crack open the bottle of Black Spruce oil and take a few deep breaths.
- Apply to the skin for a refreshing, cleaning sensation.
Plant Part: Branch / Leaf
Extraction Method: Steam distillation
Aromatic Description: Balsamic, green, fruity, woody
Chemical Components: Bornyl acetate, a-pinene, camphene, δ-3-carene
WHY DOTERRA'S BLACK SPRUCE ESSENTIAL OIL?
Native Americans have always employed black spruce as part of their spiritual healing and purification rituals. To relieve minor skin irritants and give the skin a cooling sensation, black spruce is frequently applied.
The primary ingredient in Black Spruce oil, bornyl acetate, encourages serenity and relaxation. Aromatherapy uses the energizing, revitalizing scent of black spruce to support emotions of open airways and simple breathing. Additionally, its scent fosters an atmosphere of balance and peace. In actuality, one of the oils in the doTERRA Balance® Grounding Blend is black spruce.
HOW CAN I USE BLACK SPRUCE ESSENTIAL OIL?
- Aromatically inhaling Black Spruce can facilitate feelings of ease in breathing and create a tranquil, stable environment. Diffusing Black Spruce or simply opening the bottle and inhaling deeply are two ways to use it aromatically.
- The aroma of Black Spruce pairs well with citrus oils such as Grapefruit, Bergamot, and Wild Orange, as well as other earthy aromas such as Tea Tree, Cedarwood, or Arborvitae.
- Because Black Spruce oil leaves a lovely, lingering perfume of fresh fir on your skin, you may also use it topically to benefit from its aromatic properties! If you want to give your next essential oil perfume a revitalizing, woodsy twist, you can also think about include Black Spruce in it.
- Use a drop or two of Black Spruce oil to calm mild skin irritations. Add a few drops of Black Spruce to a warm bath to relax after a long, exhausting day or a hard workout, or mix a few drops with fractionated coconut oil to massage your muscles and skin.
DIYs AND RECIPES
Black Spruce is not just widely known for its surface cleansing properties, but also for its ability to provide a number of numerous uses around the home and in your daily self-care regimen. Here are my top favorite DIYs using this powerful, potent and pure essential Oil.
DIY Surface Cleaner
Add a few drops to your favorite DIY surface cleaner (we recommend our All-Purpose Spray with Spearmint, Eucalyptus, and Lemon or our Tough Jobs Kitchen Spray with On Guard® Cleaner Concentrate) for an earthy scent and increased surface cleansing power.
Grounding Black Spruce Bath and Body Oil
What you need:
- 120 mL Fractionated Coconut Oil, jojoba oil, or sweet almond oil
- 5 drops Black Spruce essential oil
- 5 drops Siberian Fir essential oil
- 5 drops Cedarwood essential oil
- 5 drops complementary essential oil*
- An airtight container or jar
- Combine the carrier oil of your choice and essential oil drops in your desired bath oil container. Close the lid tightly and shake until the contents are blended.
- To use, add one to two tablespoons of the bath oil directly to your bath water, or pour a penny-sized amount into your palm and massage into your skin after bathing.
- Seal the lid completely between uses and store in a cool, dark place for up to six months.
Whether diffused to help maintain a calming, soothing and grounding environment, or used for a healthier skincare system, Black Spruce essential oil is the perfect addition to your daily essential oil regime.